Thirty Days of Thanks: Day(s) 10-13: Confession


The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
    his mercies never come to an end; 
they are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23


I have a confession to make. 

On most of these "Thirty Days of Thanks" I come to the end of my day, sit down to write my post, and rack my brain for the things I'm thankful for from the day. I really do give thanks as I remember them and have given thanks through the day for most. 

But I think I'm missing the point of my own exercise.

I haven't been here for a few days, hence the title "Day(s) 10-13". On Friday, Jeff and I drove to and back from Pittsburgh to see my grandmother who isn't well. Saturday was full of preparations for Emily's 18th birthday bash, and Sunday I was "busy" recovering.

As I came here today, my gratitude was distracted by feeling like I need to "catch up".

But that isn't the point and neither is staying up late trying to remember what I'm thankful for, because God's mercies and blessings are new every morning!

I'm rethinking this challenge. I want to challenge myself, but if I worry about the number of "thanks" I'm posting here, it becomes about the exercise and not about the ONE I'm thanking. 

So, from here on out I'll be focusing on real life, identifying God's blessings as they happen, and saying "thank you" in the moment. I'll still write them down and bring them here. And I'll still aim to find as many as the day just because I want to open my eyes wider every day. But if I fall short, I'm not going to stress. 

And at the end of these 30 days, I'll have a full heart instead of more grey hair.

Thankful for . . 

1. my kids' friends

2. lunch out with my youngest and my dad

3. beef brisket

4. a quiet house

5. conversation with my dad

6. red wine

7. cider, brats & kraut

8. polka music

9. cajun music

10. yodeling music

11. laughter and cards

12. my new warm socks

13. getting to bed early

Photobucket

Thirty Days of Thanks is a challenge I make to myself each year to countdown to the holidays by giving thanks every day. If you'd like to read more about why I do it or want to join me, click here.

Labels: ,