Faceoff

I came face to face with sin today, and it almost stared me down.  

Destruction, devastation, confusion, anger, fear . . just a few of sin's ugly fruits filled and spilled out her eyes.

And left me empty. Hollow gut, knot in the stomach, kind of empty.

I'm no match for the evil in this world.


For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe; 
his craft and power are great, 
and, armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

I want to turn away from the brokenness. The hopelessness. The ugliness. It's too much, too big, too overwhelming. My sweet, safe life beckons me come back to comfort.


And though this world, with devils filled, 
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, 
for God hath willed His truth to triumph through us:
the Prince of Darkness grim, 
we tremble not for him; 
his rage we can endure, 
for lo, his doom is sure, 
one little word shall fell him.


And then I remember. I'm not alone. He who "led captivity captive" is still loosening the chains of bondage and healing hearts.

For God hath willed His truth to triumph through us!